Resistance to change is probably the #1 reason people stay stuck in their life
If you crave something different in your life…say you want to get married or divorced or move or maybe you want to switch jobs but yet when the opportunity presents itself you shy away from it because deep down you are scared.
What if it doesn’t work out.. what if you make a mistake.. what if you can’t handle it. So you stay where you’re at and sink even deeper into a life you don’t love. Even though frustration and blah-ness builds you just can’t get yourself to take the first step.
I get it, just like you, I’ve been there …and that first step can be a doozy!!
Let me share a personal experience that speaks to this scenario.
There was a time not long ago I declared I wanted to be of higher service, reach more people, step up and out. I felt solid, bold and totally committed to this vision and declaration. Definitely excited, feeling it to the core of my being.
Within 2 months I was approached with the opportunity to be an international teacher/leader in a country that really needed support and assistance.
There it was, my golden chance – completely in alignment with my declaration…and yet I hesitated. Why? As much as my body was screaming and expanding with an emphatic YES, my mind was racing with all the reasons why it probably wasn’t a good idea…at this time. Maybe later.
I looked for outs all over the place, but every time I prayed I got one consistent simple response – GO.. PRONTO!
Even with God sending me messages as big as a universal billboard I had excuses – not enough time to prepare, so many projects on my plate, fear of speaking on a stage for the first time, fear of leading a group of transformational rock stars (did I have what it takes?) and then there was the financial piece…blah, blah, blah.
Fortunately, I discussed it with my coach and we figured it all out. Was I still scared and resistant – you bet! But I mustered the courage to leap and I thank God every day for giving me the strength because that experience was without a doubt one of the most significant and meaningful things I have done in my life. It added a depth of love and happiness and understanding to my being that is inexplicable – and I would have missed out totally had I stayed in resistance.
These are the 5 steps I took to conquer resistance and create the change I desired.
Unless you are highly aware, your resistance to the elements of change itself can prevent you from manifesting the things that will make you happy in your life – the things that will make you sparkle.
Here are 5 Steps to help you overcome resistance:
1) Connect with your “Why” – why is it important for you to make this change? A heartfelt, soulful WHY will propel you to overcome your fears. The WHY is usually connected to a deep emotional desire. So…what is your WHY? Take a moment and write it down.
2) Imagine your life 1 year from now. When I don’t want to do something I use this tool and it’s very enlightening. I imagine how I will feel in a year if I don’t do what I’m resisting and I imagine how I will feel if I do it. This provides the clarity and reality to motivate me to step over the resistance.
3) One step at a time – you don’t have to have it all figured out! Thinking you do can put you into confusion and overwhelm and more importantly keep you stuck. Do what you can, with what you have in this present moment. One step at a time. What is the first step you can take right now?
4) Create Accountability – there is a part of you that wants to move forward and there’s a part of you that doesn’t. And that part of you that doesn’t want to move forward usually wins by creating all sorts of excuses and distractions to keep you where you are – so accountability is key. Enroll a friend, hire a coach, do whatever serves you best to provide the structure and accountability to stay on track.
5) Take the leap! – You can do it!!! You’ll never know what awesome experience is on the other side unless you jump – don’t miss out!!
The truth is your life changes when you add something into it and most of the time you don’t want to change. Even if you say you do, it’s more comfortable hanging out with what you know – even if it’s not what you want.
So, if you are ready to conquer your resistance and you want my help